I LOVE days like these when the weather turns cool and the sun hides under clouds. A break from the heat of summer. Here is a doubly useful recipe as it warms up your insides on a cooler day as well as using the plethora of tomatoes that are in season now. AND…my kids love it!
A hand held blender & a food processor.
- 1-2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 carrots + cooked carrots and celery from making chicken broth OR 4 carrots & 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 8 cups homemade broth
- 10 tomatoes, chopped OR 56 oz of Muir Glen Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes (yummy!)
- ¼ cup of fresh basil, chopped, OR 2 T dried sweet basil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large soup pot. Add chopped onions, uncooked carrots & garlic. Cook them until they soften up a bit, about 5 minutes.
- Add in all veggies, tomatoes, broth, tomato paste, basil, salt & pepper. (If you use store bought broth, you will not need as much salt.) Bring to a boil. Allow to simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove pot from stove. With a hand mixer, blend all contents together until the soup is the consistency you prefer. (We like it a little chunky!)
Serving size 1-2 cups. This recipe yields about 18 cups of soup.
Serve with grilled chesse sandwiches made with manchego cheese and gluten free bread. Yummy!
This soup FREEZES WELL in gallon sized zip lock bag after it has cooled to room temperature.
LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK!